- The definition of problematic is something that creates or presents a difficulty, or that seems to be untrue, unlikely or incorrect.
When you are stranded on a dark street late at night and you have no money to call a cab or take a bus home and no phone to reach anyone, this is an example of a problematic situation.
- having the nature of a problem; hard to solve or deal with
- not settled; yet to be determined; uncertain
Origin of problematicFrench problématique ; from Classical Latin problematicus ; from Classical Greek problematikos ; from problēma (see problem) + -al
- Posing a problem; difficult to solve: a repair that proved more problematic than first expected.
- Open to doubt; debatable: “if you ever get married, which seems to me extremely problematic” (Oscar Wilde).
- Not settled; unresolved or dubious: a problematic future.