- a question proposed for solution or consideration
- a question, matter, situation, or person that is perplexing or difficult
- Math. a proposition requiring solution by mathematical operations, constructions, etc.
Origin of problemMiddle English probleme from Middle French from Classical Latin problema from Classical Greek probl?ma from proballein, to throw forward from pro-, forward + ballein, to throw, drive: see pro- and ball
- presenting a problem of human conduct or social relationships: a problem novel
- very difficult to deal with; esp., very difficult to train or discipline: a problem child
have a problem withInformal
- to be unable to understand or do: she has a problem with French verbs
- to disagree with; disapprove of: I have a problem with your plans to paint the kitchen purple
- yes!; I will do what you ask!: used in response to a request
- easily done!
- you're welcome!