- The definition of an issue is something that is discussed, distributed or the offspring of someone.
- An example of issue is the subject of abortion.
- An example of issue is the latest edition of Family Circle.
- An example of issue is the children of someone named in a will.
- Issue is defined as to deliver or distribute.
An example of issue is to provide someone with a new driver's license.
issue definition by Webster's New World
- an outgoing; outflow; passing out
- Archaic a way out; exit; outlet
- a result; consequence; upshot
- offspring; a child or children
- profits from lands, estates, or fines; produce; proceeds
- a point, matter, or question to be disputed or decided
- a sending or giving out; putting forth
- the thing or set of things issued; all that is put forth and circulated at one time: the July issue of a magazine, an issue of bonds
- a discharge of blood, pus, etc.
- an incision or artificial ulcer for the discharge of pus
- Informal a problem or difficulty: usually used in pl.
Origin: Old French past participle of issir, to go out ; from Classical Latin exire ; from ex-, out plush ire, to go: see year
- to go, come, pass, or flow out; emerge
- to be descended; be born
- to be derived or result (from a cause)
- to end or result (in an effect or consequence)
- to come as revenue; accrue
- to be printed or published; be put forth and circulated
- to let out; discharge
- to give or deal out; distribute: to issue supplies
- to print or publish; put forth and circulate; give out publicly or officially: to issue commemorative stamps
- issuer noun
issue definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or an instance of flowing, passing, or giving out.b. The act of circulating, distributing, or publishing by an office or official group: government issue of new bonds.
- Something produced, published, or offered, as:a. An item or set of items, as stamps or coins, made available at one time by an office or bureau.b. A single copy of a periodical: the May issue of the magazine.c. A distinct set of copies of an edition of a book distinguished from others of that edition by variations in the printed matter.d. A final result or conclusion, as a solution to a problem.e. Proceeds from estates or fines.f. Something proceeding from a specified source: suspicions that were the issue of a deranged mind.
- Offspring; progeny: died without issue.
- a. A point or matter of discussion, debate, or dispute: legal and moral issues.b. A matter of public concern: debated economic issues.c. A misgiving, objection, or complaint: had issues with the plan to change the curriculum.d. The essential point; crux: the issue of how to provide adequate child care.e. A culminating point leading to a decision: bring a case to an issue.
- Informal A personal problem or emotional disorder: The teacher discussed the child's issues with his parents.
- A place of egress; an outlet: a lake with no issue to the sea.
- Pathology a. A discharge, as of blood or pus.b. A lesion, wound, or ulcer producing such a discharge.
- Archaic Termination; close.
- To go or come out. See Synonyms at appear.
- To accrue as proceeds or profit: Little money issued from the stocks.
- To be born or be descended.
- To be circulated or published.
- To spring or proceed from a source. See Synonyms at stem1.
- To terminate or result.
- To cause to flow out; emit.
- To circulate or distribute in an official capacity: issued uniforms to the players.
- To publish: issued periodic statements.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French eissue, issue, from Vulgar Latin *exūta, alteration of Latin exita, feminine past participle of exīre, to go out : ex-, ex- + īre, to go; see ei- in Indo-European roots.
- isˈsu·er noun
- isˈsue·less adjective
issue - Investment & Finance Definition
A security that will be sold to public or private investors. Those securities may be stocks or bonds. The term may also be used as a verb to indicate that a company plans to issue a bond offering.
issue - Legal Definition
- A question of law or fact disputed by the parties.
- In estate law, the descendants of a common ancestor; offspring.
issue - Medical Definition
- A discharge, as of blood or pus.
- A lesion, a wound, or an ulcer that produces a discharge of this sort.
issue - Phrases/Idioms
- in dispute or under discussionalso, esp. in law, in issue
- at variance; in disagreement
- to enter into conflict, argument, etc. with another or each other
- to join in submitting an issue for decision at law
- In question; in dispute: “Many people fail to grasp what is really at issue here” (Gail Sheehy).
- At variance; in disagreement.
- To enter into controversy. Law
- To submit an issue for decision.