- The definition of a quagmire is soft, wet ground or a complex and difficult situation with no easy solution.
An example of a quagmire is a tense meeting where everyone is angry with each other and there's no clear way to solve the problems.
A quagmire in the Ukraine.
quagmire definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- wet, boggy ground, yielding under the foot
- a difficult or inextricable position: a quagmire of debts
Origin: quag plush mire
quagmire definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Land with a soft muddy surface.
- A difficult or precarious situation; a predicament.