- Mire is defined as wet and soggy ground.
An example of a mire is a bog.
- Mire is to get stuck in something as if you were in mud.
An example of to mire is to get your car stuck in very muddy ground.
This truck could get stuck in the mire.
mire definition by Webster's New World
- an area of wet, soggy ground; bog
- deep mud; wet, soggy earth; slush
Origin: Middle English ; from Old Norse myrr, akin to mosi, moss
- to cause to get stuck in or as in mire
- to soil or splatter with mud or dirt
mire definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An area of wet, soggy, muddy ground; a bog.
- Deep slimy soil or mud.
- A disadvantageous or difficult condition or situation: the mire of poverty.
- a. To cause to sink or become stuck in or as if in mire.b. To hinder, entrap, or entangle as if in mire.
- To soil with mud or mire.
Origin: Middle English, from Old Norse mȳrr, bog.
mire - Medical Definition