- The definition of an ant is a small insect that can be black, red, brown or yellow in color and which is known for working hard and being strong.
An example of an ant is the Atta laevigata which is found in South America.
A closeup of an ant.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: Middle English ante, amete ; from Old English æmet(t)e: akin to Old High German âmeiza ; from â-, off plush meizen, Gothic maitan, Old English an unverified form mætan, to cut; hence, literally , “the cutter off”
- that has, shows, or does: defiant, radiant
- a person or thing that ____s: occupant, accountant
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin -antem or -entem, accusative present participle ending
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Middle English amte, from Old English ǣmete.
- a. Performing, promoting, or causing a specified action: acceptant.b. Being in a specified state or condition: flippant.
- a. One that performs, promotes, or causes a specified action: deodorant.b. One that undergoes a specified action: inhalant.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin -āns, -ant-, present participle suff. of verbs in -āre.
ant - Computer Definition
The primary build tool used in the Java environment to automate compiling, testing, packaging and deploying large Java projects. Written in Java itself, it is a utility that executes a file of XML-based commands, and all major Java development environments (IDEs) support it. Ant was created by James Davidson to automate compilations of the Apache project's Tomcat servlet engine. It was later used to build all Apache programs and migrated to the Java community. Phing is an Ant version for PHP, and NAnt is a version for the .NET framework. MSBuild is a Microsoft build tool that was modeled after Ant. See build and make.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
ant - Medical Definition
ant - Phrases/Idioms
ants in (one's) pants