- The definition of an ant is a small insect that can be black, red, brown or yellow in color and which is known for working hard and being strong.
An example of an ant is the Atta laevigata which is found in South America.
A closeup of an ant.
Origin of antMiddle English ante, amete ; from Old English æmet(t)e: akin to Old High German âmeiza ; from â-, off + meizen, Gothic maitan, Old English an unverified form mætan, to cut; hence, literally , “the cutter off”
- that has, shows, or does: defiant, radiant
- a person or thing that ____s: occupant, accountant
Origin of -antMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin -antem or -entem, accusative present participle ending
Origin of antMiddle English amte, from Old English &aemac;mete.
- a. Performing, promoting, or causing a specified action: acceptant.b. Being in a specified state or condition: flippant.
- a. One that performs, promotes, or causes a specified action: deodorant.b. One that undergoes a specified action: inhalant.
Origin of -antMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin -āns, -ant-, present participle suff. of verbs in -āre.
(third-person singular simple present ants, present participle anting, simple past and past participle anted)
- (ornithology) To rub insects, especially ants, on one's body, perhaps to control parasites or clean feathers.
From Middle English amte, amete, from Old English ǣmette (“ant”), from Proto-Germanic *ēmaitijǭ (“ant”, literally “biting-thing, cutter”), from Proto-Germanic *ē- (“off, away”) + *maitaną (“to cut”), from Proto-Indo-European *mai- (“to cut”). Cognate with German Ameise and Emse (“ant”). See also emmet.
ant - Computer Definition
The primary build tool used in the Java environment to automate compiling, testing, packaging and deploying large Java projects. Written in Java itself, it is a utility that executes a file of XML-based commands, and all major Java development environments (IDEs) support it. Ant was created by James Davidson to automate compilations of the Apache project's Tomcat servlet engine. It was later used to build all Apache programs and migrated to the Java community. Phing is an Ant version for PHP, and NAnt is a version for the .NET framework. MSBuild is a Microsoft build tool that was modeled after Ant. See build and make.