- The definition of an anti is a person who has beliefs contrary to another cause or concept.
An example of an anti is someone who does not believe that people should have the right to have guns.
- Anti is defined as opposed to something.
An example of anti is how Mothers Against Drunk Driving feel about people who drive after drinking.
Origin: ; from anti-, inch(es) various compounds
- against, hostile to, opposed to: antilabor, antislavery
- that counteracts, that operates against: antiaircraft
- that prevents, cures, or neutralizes: antitoxin
- opposite, reverse: antiperistalsis
- rivaling: antipope
- having the superficial aspect, but not the usual characteristics, of: antihero
Origin: Classical Greek anti-, ant- ; from anti, against ; from Indo-European an unverified form anti, facing, opposite, near (from source Classical Latin ante, opposite, before) ; from base an unverified form ant-s, front, forehead
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. an·tis
Origin: From anti-.
- a. Opposite: antimere.b. Opposing; against: antiapartheid.c. Counteracting; neutralizing: antacid.d. Destroying: antiaircraft.
- a. Inverse: antilogarithm.b. Displaying opposite characteristics: antihero.
Origin: Greek, from anti, opposite; see ant- in Indo-European roots.
anti - Medical Definition
- Opposite: antimere.
- Opposing; against: antisocial.
- Counteracting; neutralizing: antibody.
anti - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.