The definition of an antagonist is a person or thing that competes with or goes against another.noun
Darth Vader is an example of an antagonist to Luke Skywalker.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a person who opposes or competes with another; adversary; opponent
- a muscle, drug, etc. that acts in opposition to or counteracts another
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who opposes and contends against another; an adversary.
- The principal character in opposition to the protagonist or hero of a narrative or drama.
- Physiology A muscle that counteracts the action of another muscle, the agonist.
- Biochemistry A chemical substance that interferes with the physiological action of another, especially by combining with and blocking its nerve receptor.
- an·tagˌo·nisˈtic adjective
- an·tagˌo·nisˈti·cal·ly adverb
antagonist - Medical Definition
antagonist - Science Definition
- A muscle that opposes the action of another muscle, as by relaxing while the other one contracts, thereby producing smooth, coordinated movement.
- A chemical substance, such as a drug, that interferes with the physiological action of another substance, especially by combining with and blocking its nerve receptor. Compare agonist.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.