- The definition of an opponent is someone who you compete against, who has interests opposing yours, or is a person who is against something.
- The person you play against in a chess game is an example of your opponent.
- Someone who is against gun control is an example of an opponent of gun control.
Friendly opponents in a chess game.
opponent definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Classical Latin opponens, present participle of opponere ; from ob- (see ob-) plush ponere, to place: see position
- Rare opposite, as in position
- opposing; adverse; antagonistic
- Anat. bringing parts into opposition: said of a muscle
opponent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Acting against an antagonist or opposing force: opponent armies.
- Located in front.
Origin: Latin oppōnēns, oppōnent-, present participle of oppōnere, to oppose; see oppose.
- op·poˈnen·cy noun