- The definition of opposite is something or someone who is across from you or who is on a different side as you are.
- An example of opposite is the side of the street that you must cross to get to.
- An example of opposite is a person standing across from you.
- Opposite is someone or something that is the reverse of something else.
An example of opposite is black, as compared to white.
This white rock is the opposite of the rocks around it.
opposite definition by Webster's New World
- set against, facing, or back to back; at the other end or side; in a contrary position or direction: often with to
- characterized by hostility or resistance
- different in every way; exactly contrary; antithetical
- growing in pairs, but separated by a stem
- having one part on the same radius as another, as a stamen in front of a petal
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin oppositus, past participle of opponere: see opponent
- facing; across from
- Theater in a complementary role (of the opposite sex) to: he played opposite her
opposite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Placed or located directly across from something else or from each other: opposite sides of a building.
- Facing the other way; moving or tending away from each other: opposite directions.
- Being the other of two complementary or mutually exclusive things: the opposite sex; an opposite role to the lead in the play.
- a. Altogether different, as in nature, quality, or significance: The effect of the medication was opposite to that intended.b. Sharply contrasting; antithetical: had opposite views on the subject.
- Botany Growing in pairs on either side of a stem: opposite leaves.
- One that is opposite or contrary to another.
- An opponent or antagonist.
- An antonym.
- Across from or facing: parked the car opposite the bank.
- In a complementary dramatic role to: He played opposite her.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin oppositus, past participle of oppōnere, oppose; see oppose.
- opˈpo·site·ly adverb
- opˈpo·site·ness noun
opposite - Science Definition
detail of a field mint (Menta arvensis) plant