antipodal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of, relating to, or situated on the opposite side or sides of the earth: Australia and Great Britain occupy antipodal regions.
- Diametrically opposed; exactly opposite.
antipodal - Science Definition
In angiosperms, any of three nuclei located at the end of the embryo sac opposite the micropyle. The antipodals degenerate at or shortly after fertilization. See more at embryo sac.Adjective
Situated on the opposite side or sides of the Earth.
Variant of antipodes
- any two places directly opposite each other on the earth
- a place on the opposite side of the earth
- two opposite or contrary things
Origin: Midieval Latin ; from Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek plural of antipous, with the feet opposite ; from anti-, opposite plush pous, foot