- The definition of polar is something related to the South or North poles.
An example of polar is a polar bear from Antarctica.
polar definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of, relating to, or near the North or South pole
- coming from the region near the North or South pole
- of a pole or poles
- having polarity
- opposite in character, nature, direction, etc.
- central and guiding, like the earth's pole or the polestar
Origin: Midieval Latin polaris ; from Classical Latin polus: see pole
polar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. Of or relating to a pole.b. Measured from or referred to a pole: polar distance; polar diameter.
- Relating to, connected with, or located near the North Pole or South Pole.
- a. Passing over a planet's north and south poles: a polar orbit.b. Traveling in an orbit that passes over a planet's north and south poles.
- Serving as a guide, as a polestar or a pole of the earth.
- Occupying or characterized by opposite extremes: “In creative territory [they] make a strange yet ineluctable couple, more complementary, even polar, than twin-like” (Josh Rubins).
- Central or pivotal.
- a. Chemistry Relating to or characterized by a dipole: a polar molecule.b. Ionizing when dissolved or fused: polar bonds or linkages.
polar - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of or relating to a pole.
- Having poles. Used of certain nerve cells having one or more processes.
polar - Science Definition
- Relating to a pole, such as the pole of a magnet or one of the electrodes of an electrolytic cell.
- Relating to the North Pole or the South Pole of Earth, or analogous regions of another planet.
- Relating to a molecule or substance that has polar bonds.