- The definition of frigid is someone or something very cold or formal.
An example of frigid is an outdoor temperature of below freezing.
Icicles hang from a car on a frigid day.
- extremely cold; without heat or warmth
- without warmth of feeling or manner; stiff and formal
- habitually failing to become sexually aroused, or abnormally repelled by sexual activity: said of a woman
Origin of frigidMiddle English ; from Classical Latin frigidus ; from frigere, to be cold ; from frigus, coldness, frost ; from Indo-European base an unverified form srīg-, coldness from source Classical Greek rhigos, frost
- Extremely cold. See Synonyms at cold.
- Lacking warmth of feeling.
- Stiff and formal in manner: a frigid refusal to a request.
- Showing little or no enthusiasm: Scientists gave the new theory a frigid reception.
- Often Offensive Lacking sexual desire or unwilling to engage in sexual activity. Used especially of women.
Origin of frigidLatin frīgidus, cold, from frīgus, the cold.
- fri·gid′i·ty , frig′id·ness
(comparative more frigid, superlative most frigid)