- The definition of friendly is someone or something exhibiting the characteristics of a friend, such as being kind, helpful or affectionate.
- An example of a friendly gesture is smiling, waving and saying hello.
- An example of a friendly person is someone who is always kind.
- like, characteristic of, or suitable for a friend, friends, or friendship; kindly
- not hostile; amicable
- supporting; helping; favorable: a friendly wind
- showing friendly feelings; ready to be a friend
- Informal easy to use, operate, or understand: a friendly set of computer icons
Origin of friendlyMiddle English frendli ; from Old English freondlice
- easily used or understood by: learner-friendly
- helpful to or safe for: child-friendly
- not harmful to: environment-friendly
- a. Characteristic of or behaving as a friend: a friendly greeting; is friendly with his neighbors.b. Outgoing and pleasant in social relations: a friendly clerk.c. Favorably disposed; not antagonistic: a government friendly to our interests.
- a. User-friendly.b. Informal Easy to understand or use for a specified agent. Often used in combination: a reader-friendly novel; a consumer-friendly policy.c. Informal Low in amount relative to a standard or regular circumstance. Often used in combination: carbohydrate-friendly.
nounpl. friend·lies Informal
(comparative more friendly or friendlier, superlative most friendly or friendliest)
- Generally warm, approachable and easy to relate with in character.
- Your cat seems very friendly.
- Inviting, characteristic of friendliness.
- He gave a friendly smile.
- Having an easy relationship with something, as in user-friendly etc.
- Without any hostility.
- a friendly competition
- a friendly power or state
- Promoting the good of any person; favourable; propitious.
- a friendly breeze or gale
- (military) Of or pertaining to friendlies (friendly noun sense 2, below). Also applied to other bipolar confrontations, such as team sports
- The soldier was killed by friendly fire.
- (number theory) Being or relating to two or more natural numbers with a common abundancy.
- friendly numbers, friendly pairs, friendly n-tuples
(comparative more friendly, superlative most friendly)
- (now rare) In a friendly manner, like a friend.
- (sports) A game which is of no consequence in terms of ranking, betting etc.
- Even as friendlies, derbies often arouse strong emotions
- A person or entity on the same side of a conflict.