- The definition of friendly is someone or something exhibiting the characteristics of a friend, such as being kind, helpful or affectionate.
- An example of a friendly gesture is smiling, waving and saying hello.
- An example of a friendly person is someone who is always kind.
- like, characteristic of, or suitable for a friend, friends, or friendship; kindly
- not hostile; amicable
- supporting; helping; favorable: a friendly wind
- showing friendly feelings; ready to be a friend
- Informal easy to use, operate, or understand: a friendly set of computer icons
Origin: Middle English frendli ; from Old English freondlice
- easily used or understood by: learner-friendly
- helpful to or safe for: child-friendly
- not harmful to: environment-friendly
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective friend·li·er, friend·li·est
- Of, relating to, or befitting a friend: friendly advice.
- Favorably disposed; not antagonistic: a government friendly to our interests.
- Warm; comforting.
- a. User-friendly.b. Informal Easy to understand or use for a specified agent. Often used in combination: a reader-friendly novel; a consumer-friendly policy.
- friendˈli·ly adverb
- friendˈli·ness noun