- The definition of fraternal is something like brothers, or an organization for men who have similar beliefs, or twins who are born at the same time but from different eggs.
If you have someone that you treat as if he were your brother, this is an example of a relationship would be described as fraternal.
fraternal definition by Webster's New World
- of or characteristic of a brother or brothers; brotherly
- of or like a fraternal order or a fraternity
- designating twins, of either the same or different sexes, developed from separately fertilized ova and thus having hereditary characteristics not necessarily the same
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin fraternalis ; from Classical Latin fraternus, brotherly ; from frater, brother
fraternal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Of or relating to brothers: a close fraternal tie.b. Showing comradeship; brotherly.
- Of or constituting a fraternity: a fraternal association.
- Biology Of, relating to, or being a twin developed from two separately fertilized ova; dizygotic.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French fraternel, from Medieval Latin frāternālis, from Latin frāternus, from frāter, brother; see bhrāter- in Indo-European roots.
- fra·terˈnal·ism noun
- fra·terˈnal·ly adverb
fraternal - Medical Definition
- Of or relating to brothers.
- Of, relating to, or being a twin developed from two separately fertilized ova; dizygotic.