- Propitious means something that is favorable or good.
An example of propitious is the good weather before an athletic event.
- The definition of propitious is someone that is helpful or generous.
An example of propitious is a wealthy donor at a charity auction.
- favorably inclined or disposed; gracious: the propitious gods
- boding well; favorable; auspicious: a propitious omen
- that favors or furthers; advantageous: propitious winds
Origin of propitiousMiddle English propicius from Old French from Classical Latin propitius, favorable from pro-, before, forward + petere, to seek, desire, rush at: see feather
- Presenting favorable circumstances or showing signs of a favorable outcome; auspicious: “Grandmothers consulted almanacs to determine a propitious hour for the betrothal” ( Jhumpa Lahiri )
- Merciful or kindly: a propitious deity.
Origin of propitiousMiddle English propicius from Old French propicieux from Latin propitius ; see pet- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more propitious, superlative most propitious)