- Propitious means something that is favorable or good.
An example of propitious is the good weather before an athletic event.
- The definition of propitious is someone that is helpful or generous.
An example of propitious is a wealthy donor at a charity auction.
propitious definition by Webster's New World
- favorably inclined or disposed; gracious: the propitious gods
- boding well; favorable; auspicious: a propitious omen
- that favors or furthers; advantageous: propitious winds
Origin: Middle English propicius ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin propitius, favorable ; from pro-, before, forward plush petere, to seek, desire, rush at: see feather
propitious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Presenting favorable circumstances; auspicious. See Synonyms at favorable.
- Kindly; gracious.
Origin: Middle English propicius, from Old French propicieux, from Latin propitius; see pet- in Indo-European roots.
- pro·piˈtious·ly adverb
- pro·piˈtious·ness noun