- The definition of beneficial is something that has a positive effect or achieves a good result.
An example of beneficial is the type of impact on the economy when good news about unemployment is released.
- producing benefits; advantageous; favorable
- receiving benefit
- Law for one's own benefit: beneficial interest
Origin of beneficialMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Late Latin beneficialis ; from Classical Latin benefacere: see benefaction
- Producing or promoting a favorable result; advantageous: a trade agreement beneficial to all countries.
- Law Involving the receipt of funds, property, or other benefits, as from an insurance policy or trust.
Origin of beneficialMiddle English, from Old French beneficial, from Late Latin beneficiālis, from Latin beneficium, benefit; see benefice.
(comparative more beneficial, superlative most beneficial)