- The definition of equitable is something that is fair to all parties.
When marital assets are split fairly in a divorce, this is an example of an equitable arrangement.
- characterized by equity; fair; just: said of actions, results of actions, etc.
- having to do with equity, as distinguished from common or statute law
- valid in equity
Origin of equitableFrench équitable ; from équité
- Showing or characterized by equity; just and fair. See Synonyms at fair1.
- Law a. Of or relating to rights historically enforced in courts of equity.b. Resolved not simply according to the strict letter of the law but in accordance with principles of substantial justice and the unique facts of the case.
Origin of equitableFrench équitable, from Old French, from equite, equity; see equity.
(comparative more equitable, superlative most equitable)
equitable - Legal Definition