- The definition of an estate is a property, generally a large one, or ones personal property.
- An example of an estate is a mansion.
- An example of an estate is ones home and money.
An oceanfront estate.
estate definition by Webster's New World
- state or condition: to restore the theater to its former estate
- a condition or stage of life: to come to man's estate
- status or rank
- Historical esp. in feudal times, any of the three social classes having specific political powers: the first estate was the Lords Spiritual (clergy), the second estate the Lords Temporal (nobility), and the third estate the Commons (bourgeoisie)
- property; possessions; capital; fortune
- the assets and liabilities of a dead or bankrupt person
- landed property; individually owned piece of land containing a residence, esp. one that is large and maintained by great wealth
- Brit. development (sense )
- Archaic display of wealth; pomp
- the degree, nature, extent, and quality of interest or ownership that one has in land or other property
- all the property, real or personal, owned by one
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French estat, state
estate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A landed property, usually of considerable size.
- The whole of one's possessions, especially all the property and debts left by one at death.
- Law The nature and extent of an owner's rights with respect to land or other property.
- Chiefly British A housing development.
- The situation or circumstances of one's life: A child's estate gives way to the adult's estate.
- Social position or rank, especially of high order.
- A major social class, such as the clergy, the nobility, or the commons, formerly possessing distinct political rights.
- Archaic Display of wealth or power; pomp.
Origin: Middle English estat, condition, from Old French; see State .
estate - Business Definition
estate - Investment & Finance Definition
All the assets that a person has at the time of his or her death. This includes cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, personal property, and other investments. The estate is distributed to the deceased’s heirs as prescribed in the will.
estate - Legal Definition