- land, esp. a farm, rented from another
- [pl.] property owned, as stocks, bonds, or inventory; assets
- in certain sports, the illegal use of the hands and arms to hinder the movements of an opponent
- a decision or ruling as by a court of law
Origin of holdingMiddle English holdinge: see hold
- a. Land rented or leased from another.b. often holdings Legally owned property, such as land, capital, or stocks.
- holdings The collection of books and other reading materials at a library.
- Law The part of a court opinion that announces how the law is being applied to the particular facts of the case and that may establish precedent for future similar cases.
- Sports Illegal use of the arms, hands, body, or playing stick to obstruct the movements of an opponent.
- Tending to impede or delay progress: a holding action.
- Designed for usually short-term storage or retention: a holding tank; a holding cell.
- A surname.
holding - Legal Definition
The decision of a court or judge; the reasoning underlying such a decision.