- The definition of favorable is positive, advantageous or approving.
- When a movie gets two thumbs up, this is an example of a favorable review.
- When you ask a question and the answer seems like it will be yes, this is an example of a time when you can expect a favorable response.
- When you negotiate a divorce settlement and you get more than you really should have, this is an example of a favorable outcome.
- When your doctor says it is very likely you will make a full recovery, this is an example of a favorable prognosis.
favorable definition by Webster's New World
- approving or commending
- pleasing or desirable: a favorable impression
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin favorabilis
favorable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Advantageous; helpful: favorable winds.
- Encouraging; propitious: a favorable diagnosis.
- Manifesting approval; commendatory: a favorable report.
- Winning approval; pleasing: a favorable impression.
- Granting what has been desired or requested: a favorable reply.
- Indulgent or partial: listened with a favorable ear.
- faˈvor·a·ble·ness noun
- faˈvor·a·bly adverb