- The definition of a pet is a companion animal that you take care of and that keeps you company, like a dog or a cat.
An example of pet is your dog.
- To pet is to rub, pat or touch something or someone with affection.
An example of pet is when you run your hands through your dog's fur.
This woman's pet is a dog.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an animal that is tamed or domesticated and kept as a companion or treated with fondness
- a person who is treated with particular affection or indulgence; favorite; darling
Origin: orig. Scottish dialect, dialectal , probably back-formation from Middle English pety, small: see petty
- kept or treated as a pet: a pet duck
- especially liked; favorite
- greatest; especial; particular: one's pet peeve
- showing fondness or affection: a pet name
- to stroke or pat gently; fondle; caress
- to be indulgent toward; pamper
- petter noun
Origin: from earlier phrase to take the pet from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An animal kept for amusement or companionship.
- An object of the affections.
- A person especially loved or indulged; a favorite: the teacher's pet.
- Kept as a pet: a pet cat.
- a. Particularly cherished or indulged: a pet grandchild.b. Expressing or showing affection: a pet name.
- Being a favorite: a pet topic.
Origin: Scottish Gaelic peata, tame animal, pet, from Old Irish.
- petˈter noun
Origin: Origin unknown.