This woman's pet is a dog.
- The definition of a pet is a companion animal that you take care of and that keeps you company, like a dog or a cat.
An example of pet is your dog.
- To pet is to rub, pat or touch something or someone with affection.
An example of pet is when you run your hands through your dog's fur.
- an animal that is tamed or domesticated and kept as a companion or treated with fondness
- a person who is treated with particular affection or indulgence; favorite; darling
Origin of petorigin, originally Scottish dialect, dialectal , probably back-formation ; from Middle English pety, small: see petty
- kept or treated as a pet: a pet duck
- especially liked; favorite
- greatest; especial; particular: one's pet peeve
- showing fondness or affection: a pet name
transitive verbpetted, petting
- to stroke or pat gently; fondle; caress
- to be indulgent toward; pamper
- An animal kept for enjoyment or companionship.
- An object of the affections.
- A person especially loved or indulged; a favorite: the teacher's pet.
- Kept as a pet: a pet cat.
- a. Particularly cherished or indulged: a pet grandchild.b. Expressing or showing affection: a pet name.
- Being a favorite: a pet topic.
verbpet·ted, pet·ting, pets
Origin of petScottish Gaelic peata, tame animal, pet, from Old Irish.
intransitive verbpet·ted, pet·ting, pets
Origin of petOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present pets, present participle petting, simple past and past participle petted)
- To stroke or fondle (an animal).
- (informal) To stroke or fondle (another person) amorously.
- (intransitive, informal) Of two or more people, to stroke and fondle one another amorously.
- (dated) To treat as a pet; to fondle; to indulge.
- His daughter was petted and spoiled.
- (archaic, intransitive) To be a pet.
- Favourite; cherished.
- a pet child
- a pet theory
Originally from Northern English and Scots dialects, origin is unsure but may have arisen due to influence of petty pertaining to children and later companion animals. Almost certainly of Germanic etymology.
- Abbreviation of petition.
Abbreviation of petition.
Diminutive of petal.