The definition of a pet is a companion animal that you take care of and that keeps you company, like a dog or a cat.noun
An example of pet is your dog.
To pet is to rub, pat or touch something or someone with affection.verb
An example of pet is when you run your hands through your dog's fur.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- an animal that is tamed or domesticated and kept as a companion or treated with fondness
- a person who is treated with particular affection or indulgence; favorite; darling
Origin: orig. Scot dial., prob. back-form. < ME pety, small: see petty
- kept or treated as a pet: a pet duck
- especially liked; favorite
- greatest; especial; particular: one's pet peeve
- showing fondness or affection: a pet name
- to stroke or pat gently; fondle; caress
- to be indulgent toward; pamper
- petter noun
Origin: < earlier phr. to take the pet < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An animal kept for amusement or companionship.
- An object of the affections.
- A person especially loved or indulged; a favorite: the teacher's pet.
- Kept as a pet: a pet cat.
- a. Particularly cherished or indulged: a pet grandchild.b. Expressing or showing affection: a pet name.
- Being a favorite: a pet topic.
Origin: Scottish Gaelic peata, tame animal, pet, from Old Irish.
- petˈter noun
Origin: Origin unknown.