- The definition of children means more than one child.
An example of children is the group of two year olds playing at the park.
Happy children on a playground.
children definition by Webster's New World
Origin: see child
children definition by American Heritage Dictionary
children - Ologies & -Isms Definition
Variant of child
- an infant; baby
- an unborn offspring; fetus
- a boy or girl in the period before puberty
- a son or daughter; offspring
- a descendant
- a member of a tribe, clan, etc.: often used in pl.: children of Israel
- a person like a child in interests, judgment, etc., or one regarded as immature and childish
- a person identified with a specified place, time, etc.: a child of the Renaissance
- a thing that springs from a specified source; product: a child of one's imagination
- Archaic childe
- Brit., Dialectal a female infant
Origin: Middle English plural childre (now dialect, dialectal childer; children is double plural ) ; from Old English cild, plural cild, cildru ; from Indo-European an unverified form gelt-, a swelling up ; from base an unverified form gel-, rounded (sense development: swelling — womb — fetus — offspring from source Gothic kilthei, womb, Classical Latin globus, sphere