- simple past tense and past participle of pet
This dog is being petted.
Petted is to stroke a person or animal with affection.
An example of petted is a dog that has been stroked after having followed a command.
- He watched her with an amused expression as she petted the kitten and talked to it.
- The young king was generous and was endowed with considerable intellectual gifts; but passing as he did from Annos gloomy palace at Cologne to Adalberts residence in Bremen, whore he was petted and flattered, he became wayward and wilful.
- He was not petted and spoiled like many other princes.
- Chopin was first petted by her like a spoilt darling and then nursed for years like a sick child.
- At that time I had a much-petted, much-abused doll, which I afterward named Nancy.