petticoat[pet′ē kōt′, pet′i-]
- a skirt, now esp. an underskirt often trimmed at the hemline as with lace or ruffles, worn by women and girls
- something resembling a petticoat
- Informal a woman or girl
Origin: Middle English petycote: see petty and amp; coat
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A woman's slip or underskirt that is often full and trimmed with ruffles or lace. Also called pettiskirt.
- Something, such as a decorative valance or flounce, that resembles a woman's underskirt.
- Female; feminine.
- Of, relating to, or carried out by women.
Origin: Middle English peticote : peti, small; see petty + cote, coat; see coat.
- petˈti·coatˌed adjective