singlet definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Brit. a man's undershirt, esp. a sleeveless one
- Austral., N.Z. a short-sleeved or sleeveless knit top, as a T-shirt or tank top
- any single thing that usually exists in combination; specif., an atom that is freed from combination by being raised to a higher energy level, as an atom of oxygen in a cell excited by a laser or sunlight, that becomes destructive
Origin: ; from single, modeled on doublet
singlet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Chiefly British A man's jersey undershirt.
- Physics A multiplet with a single member.