- Obs. a coat worn under another
- an under layer of short hair in an animal's coat
- a coating as of tarlike material applied to the exposed underside of a motor vehicle to deaden noise, retard rust, etc.
- a coat of paint, varnish, etc. applied as a first coat or before the final coat
Also (for undercoat & )un′der·coat·ing
to apply an undercoat to
- A coat worn beneath another coat.
- A covering of short hairs lying underneath the longer outer hairs of an animal's coat.
- also un·der·coat·ing a. A coat of sealing material applied to a surface before the outer coats, as of paint, are applied.b. The sealing material used for this purpose.c. A tarlike substance sprayed on the underside of a vehicle to prevent rusting.
transitive verbun·der·coat·ed, un·der·coat·ing, un·der·coats
To apply an undercoat to.
(third-person singular simple present undercoats, present participle undercoating, simple past and past participle undercoated)
- To apply an undercoat.
under- +"Ž coat