undercoat definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Obsolete a coat worn under another
- an under layer of short hair in an animal's coat
- a coating as of tarlike material applied to the exposed underside of a motor vehicle to deaden noise, retard rust, etc.
- a coat of paint, varnish, etc. applied as a first coat or before the final coat
Also (for undercoat & )undercoating
to apply an undercoat to
undercoat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A coat worn beneath another coat.
- A covering of short hairs lying underneath the longer outer hairs of an animal's coat.
- also un·der·coat·ing a. A coat of sealing material applied to a surface before the outer coats, as of paint, are applied.b. The sealing material used for this purpose.c. A tarlike substance sprayed on the underside of a vehicle to prevent rusting.
To apply an undercoat to.