- Obsolete a coat worn under another
- an under layer of short hair in an animal's coat
- a coating as of tarlike material applied to the exposed underside of a motor vehicle to deaden noise, retard rust, etc.
- a coat of paint, varnish, etc. applied as a first coat or before the final coat
to apply an undercoat to
See undercoat in American Heritage Dictionary 4
transitive verb un·der·coat·ed
- A coat worn beneath another coat.
- A covering of short hairs lying underneath the longer outer hairs of an animal's coat.
- also un·der·coat·ing (-kōˌtĭng)
a. A coat of sealing material applied to a surface before the outer coats, as of paint, are applied.
b. The sealing material used for this purpose.
c. A tarlike substance sprayed on the underside of a vehicle to prevent rusting.
To apply an undercoat to.
Learn more about undercoat