- a striped or figured woolen petticoat formerly worn beneath a skirt that was looped up in front
- a kind of laced walking shoe
- a round, brimless Scottish cap, flat on top
Origin of Balmoralafter Balmoral Castle, Scotland
- A brimless Scottish cap that has a flat, round top and usually a pompom attached to the center.
- often balmoral A heavy, laced walking shoe.
Origin of BalmoralAfter Balmoral Castle in northeast Scotland
- Both noun senses are sometimes capitalized.
From Balmoral Castle, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.