- The definition of darling is someone or something that is cute or someone that is loved.
- An attractive little house is an example of something that might be described as a darling house.
- A beloved wife is an example of someone who would be described as a darling wife.
- Darling is defined as a term of endearment used for a charming or beloved person.
- A example of darling is a term used for your lovely wife.
- An example of darling is a well-loved person who is adored by all.
A mother holding her darling baby.
darling definition by Webster's New World
- a person much loved by another: often a term of affectionate address
- a favorite
- a sweet, lovable, or gracious person
Origin: Middle English dereling ; from Old English deorling, diminutive of deore, dear
- very dear; beloved
- Informal cute; attractive: a darling dress
darling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A dearly beloved person.
- One that is greatly liked or preferred; a favorite: “the pride and vanity of the rich, the darlings of fate” (Mario Puzo).
- Dearly beloved.
- Regarded with special favor; favorite: “Metaphysics and poetry . . . are my darling studies” (Samuel Taylor Coleridge).
- Informal Charming or amusing: a darling hat.
Origin: Middle English dereling, from Old English dēorling : dēore, dear + -ling, diminutive suff.