- The definition of precious is something of great value or that is greatly loved.
- An example of precious is priceless jewelry.
- An example of precious is your spouse.
precious definition by Webster's New World
- of great price or value; costly
- of great desirability; held in high esteem: precious rights
- beloved; dear
- very fastidious, overrefined, or affected, as in behavior, language, etc.
- very great: a precious liar
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French precios ; from Classical Latin pretiosus ; from pretium, price
precious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of high cost or worth; valuable.
- Highly esteemed; cherished.
- Dear; beloved.
- Affectedly dainty or overrefined: precious mannerisms.
- Informal Thoroughgoing; unmitigated: a precious mess.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French precios, from Latin pretiōsus, from pretium, price; see per-5 in Indo-European roots.
- preˈcious·ly adverb
- preˈcious·ness noun