- The definition of defective is something or someone that is imperfect or that doesn't work properly.
A door that does not latch correctly is an example of something that would be described as defective.
- having a defect or defects; imperfect; faulty
- Gram. lacking some of the usual forms of inflection: “ought” is a defective verb
- having a physical or mental defect; subnormal
Origin of defectiveMiddle English and amp; Old French defectif ; from Late Latin defectivus
- ☆ a person with some physical or mental defect
- Gram. a defective word
- a. Having a defect; faulty: a defective appliance.b. Marked by subnormal structure, function, intelligence, or behavior: defective speech.
- Grammar Lacking one or more of the inflected forms normal for a particular category of word, as the verb may in English.
(comparative more defective, superlative most defective)
- Nouns to which "defective" is often applied: merchandise, goods, part, component, product, equipment, gene, unit, construction, design, drug, memory, wiring, machine, device, instrument, hardware, software, vehicle.
- A person considered to be defective.
From Middle French défectif
defective - Legal Definition