- The definition of defective is something or someone that is imperfect or that doesn't work properly.
A door that does not latch correctly is an example of something that would be described as defective.
defective definition by Webster's New World
- having a defect or defects; imperfect; faulty
- Gram. lacking some of the usual forms of inflection: “ought” is a defective verb
- having a physical or mental defect; subnormal
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French defectif ; from Late Latin defectivus
- ☆ a person with some physical or mental defect
- Gram. a defective word
defective definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Having a defect; faulty: a defective appliance.b. Marked by subnormal structure, function, intelligence, or behavior: defective speech.
- Grammar Lacking one or more of the inflected forms normal for a particular category of word, as the verb may in English.
- de·fecˈtive·ly adverb
- de·fecˈtive·ness noun
defective - Legal Definition
defective - Medical Definition
- Having an imperfection or malformation.
- Lacking or deficient in some physical or mental function.