- covered or protected with plates, as of armor
- knitted of two kinds of yarn, one forming the face and the other the back
- overlaid or coated with a metal, esp. a precious one, by a plating process: silver-plated
- Coated with a thin adherent layer of metal. Often used in combination: a gold-plated ceramic bowl; a silver-plated pen.
- Covered with protective plates or sheets of metal. Often used in combination: an armor-plated truck; a steel-plated safe.
- Simple past tense and past participle of plate.