sea horse definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of a genus (Hippocampus) of small, semitropical, marine bony fishes of the same family (Syngnathidae, order Gasterosteiformes) as the pipefishes, having a slender prehensile tail, plated body, and a head and foreparts somewhat suggestive of those of a horse: it normally swims in an upright position, and the male incubates the eggs in a pouch in his abdomenalso written seahorse
- a mythical sea creature, half fish and half horse
sea horse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small marine fish of the genus Hippocampus, characteristically swimming in an upright position and having a prehensile tail, a horselike head, and a body covered with bony plates.
- See walrus.
- Mythology An animal, half fish and half horse, ridden by Neptune and other sea gods.
- A large white-capped wave.