- Silver plate is tableware and serving ware which has been coated with a thing layer of silver.
An example of silver plate is a serving tray that has been electroplated with silver.
- To silver plate is defined as to cover something with a thin layer of silver.
An example of to silver plate is to coat a ring with silver.
- A coating or plating of silver.
- Tableware, such as flatware or hollowware, made of or coated with silver.
transitive verbsil·ver-plat·ed, sil·ver-plat·ing, sil·ver-plates
- A thin layer of silver applied to the surface of an object made of another metal.
(third-person singular simple present silver plates, present participle silver plating, simple past and past participle silver plated)
- Alternative spelling of silver-plate.
- (humorous) Eye dialect spelling of s'il vous plaît.
From "silver plate", from the similarity of this phrase to the French s'il vous plaît