Silver is a soft, grayish-white metal, or something with the color of this metal, or something made from this metal.
Facts About Silver
- Silver's symbol is Ag and it is number 47 on the periodic chart of elements.
- Silver is found all over the world, even in seawater. In the United States, there are silver mines in 16 states. Most of the silver comes from Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho.
- Silver sulfide appears as tarnish on objects made of silver or plated with silver.
- Silver objects have been found by archaeologists in Egypt dating back to 6000 B. C.
- Silver is rather easy to extract from its ores, so once it was discovered, it was easy to work with and therefore, was used for many things.
- Since it is soft, it can easily be made into thin layers or rolled to make wire.
- It is also a very good conductor of electricity and heat. It is even used to generate electricity. It reflects the sun’s heat onto tubes which in turn heat water. That heated water turns to steam and powers generators to produce electricity.
- It is shiny, which makes it great for jewelry and decorations. Silver is too soft to be used in jewelry without being mixed with other metals, often gold.
- Silver is used to make batteries. It is also a major component in photovoltaic cells used to collect the sun’s energy.
- It can be used to reflect light.
- Silver is also used to coat CDs and DVDs.
- It is used in the production of electronics, water purification, and solar energy.
- Silver can replace harsh chemicals in water purification.
- Silver can prevent the formation of algae and destroy bacteria, which may have future medical applications.
- Sterling silver, which has been around since the 14th century, is an alloy of copper and silver.
- An example of silver is the metal used to coat the back of a mirror.
- An example of silver is the color of a dime.
- An example of silver is a pair of earrings.
The definition of silver is made with soft, grayish-white metal, or having the color of this metal. (adjective)
An example of silver used as an adjective is in the phrase "silver earrings," which means a pair of earrings made from this metal.
Silver is defined as to become like the soft, white, often malleable substance or to coat or cover with it. (verb)
An example of silver is to pour this element over a statue.