- The definition of eloquent is expressive and persuasive.
- An example of something eloquent is Martin Luther King, Jr's I Have a Dream speech.
- An example of someone eloquent is a motivational speaker.
- having, or characterized by, eloquence; fluent, forceful, and persuasive
- vividly expressive: an eloquent sigh
Origin of eloquentMiddle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin eloquens, present participle of eloqui, to speak out, utter ; from e-, out + loqui, to speak
Capable of or characterized by eloquence: an eloquent speaker; an eloquent sermon.
Origin of eloquentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin ēloquēns, ēloquent-, present participle of ēloquī, to speak out; see elocution.
(comparative more eloquent, superlative most eloquent)