- The definition of fluent is having complete knowledge of a foreign language so you can express yourself in that language, or the ability to speak easily, flow freely or move smoothly.
- A person who can speak a foreign language very well is an example of someone who is fluent in that language.
- An eloquent speaker who makes speeches easily and articulately is an example of a fluent speaker.
- A person who glides and moves gracefully is an example of someone who would be described as having fluent movements.
fluent definition by Webster's New World
- flowing or moving smoothly and easily: fluent verse
- able to write or speak easily, smoothly, and expressively: fluent in French
Origin: Classical Latin fluens (gen. fluentis), present participle of fluere, to flow: see fluctuate
- fluently adverb
fluent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent in three languages.b. Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent performance of the sonata.
- Flowing or moving smoothly; graceful: a yacht with long, fluent curves.
- Flowing or capable of flowing; fluid.
Origin: Latin fluēns, fluent-, present participle of fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.
- fluˈen·cy noun
- fluˈent·ly adverb