- The definition of inarticulate is something or someone lacking clarity of speech.
A person who fumbles over his words and cannot explain himself is an example of someone who would be described as inarticulate.
- produced without the normal articulation of understandable speech: said of vocal sounds: an inarticulate cry
- not able to speak, as because of strong emotion; mute
- not able to speak understandably, effectively, or coherently
- not expressed or able to be expressed: inarticulate passion
- Zool. without joints, segments, hinges, or valves
Origin of inarticulateLate Latin inarticulatus: see in- and amp; articulate
- Uttered without the use of normal words or syllables; incomprehensible as speech or language: “a cry &ellipsis; that &ellipsis; sank down into an inarticulate whine” (Jack London).
- Unable to speak; speechless: inarticulate with astonishment.
- Unable to speak with clarity or eloquence: an inarticulate debater.
- Going unexpressed: inarticulate sorrow.
- Biology Not having joints or segments.
- in′ar·tic′u·late·ness, in′ar·tic′u·la·cy
(comparative more inarticulate, superlative most inarticulate)