- The definition of dumb is unable to speak or someone or something that appears stupid.
- An example of dumb is the voice of an animal which does not include words.
- An example of dumb is what you might call a decision that was made based on the wrong assumptions.
dumb definition by Webster's New World
- lacking the power of speech; mute: now regarded as offensive
- unwilling to talk; silent
- not accompanied by speech
- temporarily speechless, as from fear
- producing no sound
- lacking some normal part, characteristic, or quality
Origin: Ger dummInformal stupid; moronic
- Comput. designating or of a terminal not equipped with its own processorcf. intelligent (sense )
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old English akin to German dumm (Goth dumbs), mute, stupid ; from nasalized variant, variety of Indo-European an unverified form dheubh ; from base an unverified form dheu-: see dull
dumb definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective dumb·er, dumb·est
- a. Lacking the power of speech. Used of animals and inanimate objects.b. Often Offensive Incapable of using speech; mute. Used of humans. See Usage Note at mute.
- Temporarily speechless, as with shock or fear: I was dumb with disbelief.
- Unwilling to speak; taciturn.
- Not expressed or articulated in sounds or words: dumb resentment.
- Nautical Not self-propelling.
- Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid: dumb officials; a dumb decision.
- Unintentional; haphazard: dumb luck.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English.
- dumbˈly adverb
- dumbˈness noun
dumb - Computer Definition
dumb - Phrases/Idioms