- The definition of voluble is someone who speaks easily and says a lot of words.
An example of voluble is someone with the gift of gab.
- characterized by a great flow of words; talking much and easily; talkative, glib, etc.
- Rare rolling easily on an axis; rotating
- Bot. twining or twisting, as a vine
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin volubilis, easily turned about from volutus, past participle of volvere, to roll, turn about: see walk
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marked by a ready flow of speech; fluent.
- a. Turning easily on an axis; rotating.b. Botany Twining or twisting: a voluble vine.
Origin: Middle English, moving easily, from Old French, from Latin volūbilis, revolving, fluent, from volvere, to roll; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- volˌu·bilˈi·ty, volˈu·ble·ness noun
- volˈu·bly adverb