- The definition of a holiday is a day where business is suspended in celebration of a specific event.
An example of a holiday is Christmas.
Christmas is one example of a holiday.
holiday definition by Webster's New World
- holy day
- a day of freedom from labor; day set aside for leisure and recreation
- Chiefly Brit. a period of leisure or recreation; vacation
- a day set aside by law or custom for the suspension of business, usually in commemoration of some event
of or suited to a holiday; joyous; merry: the holiday spirit
Chiefly Brit. to take a vacation or vacation trip
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Holiday, Billie (born Eleonora Fagan Holiday) 1915-59; U.S. jazz singer: also called Lady Day
holiday definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
- A religious feast day; a holy day.
- Chiefly British A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.
To pass a holiday or vacation.
- holˈi·dayˌer noun
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
, Eleanora Known as “Billie.” 1915-1959.
American singer. The emotional intensity of her performances made Holiday the leading female jazz vocalist of her time.
holiday - Phrases/Idioms
see busman's holiday.