A tent set up for a gala evening event.
The definition of a gala is a glamorous, festive social event or party, often with dancing or performances.
A fancy social event to raise funds for a charity is an example of a gala.
- a festive occasion; festival; celebration
- a public entertainment
- a red to red-and-gold variety of apple with sweet, crisp flesh
Origin of gala; from French or Italian gala ; from Spanish ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Arabic khilá, a royal presentation robe
festive, or suitable for a festive occasion
in festive dress
- A festive occasion, especially a lavish social event or entertainment.
- Chiefly British An athletic competition, especially a swimming contest.
- Marked by lavish or festive celebration: a gala ball after the inaugural ceremony.
- Characterized by sumptuous social pleasure: the gala life of the very rich.
Origin of galaItalian and French, both ultimately from Old French gale, rejoicing, from galer, to make merry; see gallant.
A variety of apple with crisp fruit that has yellow skin streaked with red.