- An affair is defined as an event or something that is happening.
An example of an affair is a charity dinner.
- The definition of an affair is a situation in which a spouse or person involved in an exclusive relationship is having a relationship with a third party.
An example of an affair is when a wife cheats on her husband.
- The definition of an affair is something of controversy for the public.
An example of an affair is poor spending habits of high level officials.
- a thing to be done; business
- matters of business or concern
- any matter, occurrence, or thing
- a social function or gathering
- an event that becomes a matter of public controversy
Origin: < love affairan amorous relationship between two people not married to each other; an amour
Origin: Middle English afere ; from Old French afaire ; from a faire, to do ; from Classical Latin ad-, to plush facere, do
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something done or to be done; business.
- affairs Transactions and other matters of professional or public business: affairs of state.
- a. An occurrence, event, or matter: The senator's death was a tragic affair.b. A social function.
- An object or a contrivance: Their first car was a ramshackle affair.
- A matter of personal concern.
- affairs Personal business: get one's affairs in order.
- A matter causing public scandal and controversy: the Dreyfus affair.
- A romantic and sexual relationship, sometimes one of brief duration, between two people who are not married to each other.
Origin: Middle English affaire, from Old French afaire, from a faire, to do : a, to (from Latin ad; see ad-) + faire, to do (from facere; see dhē- in Indo-European roots).