- The definition of an affair is a situation in which a spouse or person involved in an exclusive relationship is having a relationship with a third party.
An example of an affair is when a wife cheats on her husband.
- The definition of an affair is something of controversy for the public.
An example of an affair is poor spending habits of high level officials.
- An affair is defined as an event or something that is happening.
An example of an affair is a charity dinner.
- a thing to be done; business
- [pl.] matters of business or concern
- any matter, occurrence, or thing
- a social function or gathering
- an event that becomes a matter of public controversy
Origin of affair< love affair an amorous relationship between two people not married to each other, esp. when at least one person is married to or involved with someone else
Origin of affairMiddle English afere from Old French afaire from a faire, to do from Classical Latin ad-, to + facere, do
- a. Something done or experienced; a matter or event: Preparing dessert was a messy affair.b. A matter of personal concern: What I did is my own affair.c. A matter causing public scandal and controversy: the Dreyfus affair.d. A social function: The reception was a posh affair.
- affairs a. Transactions and other matters of professional or public business: affairs of state.b. Personal business: get one's affairs in order.
- An object or a contrivance: Their first car was a ramshackle affair.
- A sexual relationship between two people, especially when at least one of them is married or in another committed romantic relationship.
Origin of affairMiddle English affaire from Old French afaire from a faire to do a to ( from Latin ad ; see ad- . ) faire to do ( from Latin facere ; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.)
- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
- a difficult affair to manage
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- an affair of honor, i. e., a duel
- an affair of love, i. e., an intrigue.
- (military) An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- He used a hook-shaped affair with a long handle to unlock the car.
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de cœur.)