- The definition of an affair is a situation in which a spouse or person involved in an exclusive relationship is having a relationship with a third party.
An example of an affair is when a wife cheats on her husband.
- The definition of an affair is something of controversy for the public.
An example of an affair is poor spending habits of high level officials.
- An affair is defined as an event or something that is happening.
An example of an affair is a charity dinner.
- a thing to be done; business
- matters of business or concern
- any matter, occurrence, or thing
- a social function or gathering
- an event that becomes a matter of public controversy
Origin of affair< love affair an amorous relationship between two people not married to each other; an amour
Origin of affairMiddle English afere ; from Old French afaire ; from a faire, to do ; from Classical Latin ad-, to + facere, do
- a. Something done or experienced; a matter or event: Preparing dessert was a messy affair.b. A matter of personal concern: What I did is my own affair.c. A matter causing public scandal and controversy: the Dreyfus affair.d. A social function: The reception was a posh affair.
- affairsa. Transactions and other matters of professional or public business: affairs of state.b. Personal business: get one's affairs in order.
- An object or a contrivance: Their first car was a ramshackle affair.
- A sexual relationship between two people, especially when at least one of them is married or in another committed romantic relationship.
Origin of affairMiddle English affaire, from Old French afaire, from a faire, to do : a, to (from Latin ad; see ad–) + faire, to do (from Latin facere; see dhē- in Indo-European roots).
- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
- a difficult affair to manage
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- an affair of honor, i. e., a duel
- an affair of love, i. e., an intrigue.
- (military) An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- He used a hook-shaped affair with a long handle to unlock the car.
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de cœur.)