- Proceeding is defined as beginning, moving forward or continuing with a course of action.
When you continue with a project you started, this is an example of a time when you are proceeding with the project.
proceeding definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an advancing or going on with what one has been doing
- the carrying on of an action or course of action
- a particular action or course of action
- a record of the business transacted by a learned society or other organized group
- legal action
- the taking of legal action
proceeding definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A course of action; a procedure.
- proceedings A sequence of events occurring at a particular place or occasion: hectic proceedings in the kitchen.
- proceedings A record of business carried on by a society or other organization; minutes.
- Law a. Legal action; litigation. Often used in the plural.b. The instituting or conducting of legal action.
proceeding - Legal Definition
The orderly sequence of events that constitute the progression of a lawsuit or judicial procedure from the time of commencement, through all acts and occurrences, until and including the execution of the final judgment.collateral proceeding
- One brought to deal with an issue not directly germane to the issue.
- One instituted for the purpose of modifying the result of a judgment while not nullifying it.
See informal proceeding.summary proceeding
See summary proceeding.