- The definition of spiritual is something related to or concerned with religion, the spirit or the soul.
When you are more concerned with God or with the state of your soul than with material things, this is an example of a situation where you would be described as a spiritual person.
- of the spirit or the soul as distinguished from the body or material matters
- of, from, or concerned with the intellect; intellectual
- of or consisting of spirit; not corporeal
- characterized by the ascendancy of the spirit; showing much refinement of thought and feeling
- of religion or the church; sacred, devotional, or ecclesiastical; not lay or temporal
- spiritualistic or supernatural
Origin of spiritualMiddle English spirituel ; from Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin spiritualis ; from Classical Latin of breathing or air
- ☆ any of a type of American folk hymn; specif., any of such songs originating among S U.S. blacks in the 18th and 19th cent. combining African and European musical elements
- religious or church matters
- Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural: spiritual power.
- Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul: spiritual guidance; spiritual growth.
- Not concerned with material or worldly things: led a spiritual life.
- Of or belonging to a religion; sacred: spiritual practices; spiritual music.
- a. A religious folk song of African-American origin.b. A work composed in imitation of such a song.
- often spirituals Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters.
Origin of spiritualMiddle English, from Old French spirituel, from Latin spīrituālis, of breathing, spiritual, from spīritus, breath; see Spirit .
(comparative more spiritual, superlative most spiritual)
- Of or pertaining to the spirit or the soul.
- Respect towards ancestors is an essential part of Thai spiritual practice.
- Of or pertaining to God or a place of worship; sacred.
- Of or pertaining to spirits; supernatural.
- Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal.
- a spiritual substance or being
- Of or relating to the intellectual and higher endowments of the mind; mental; intellectual.
- (Christianity) Controlled and inspired by the Holy Spirit; pure; holy.
- Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical.
- the spiritual functions of the clergy; lords spiritual and temporal; a spiritual corporation
- (Christianity, historical) A member of a branch of the Franciscan order who advocated simple dress and renounced the owning of property.