- The definition of spiritual is something related to or concerned with religion, the spirit or the soul.
When you are more concerned with God or with the state of your soul than with material things, this is an example of a situation where you would be described as a spiritual person.
spiritual definition by Webster's New World
- of the spirit or the soul as distinguished from the body or material matters
- of, from, or concerned with the intellect; intellectual
- of or consisting of spirit; not corporeal
- characterized by the ascendancy of the spirit; showing much refinement of thought and feeling
- of religion or the church; sacred, devotional, or ecclesiastical; not lay or temporal
- spiritualistic or supernatural
Origin: Middle English spirituel ; from Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin spiritualis ; from Classical Latin of breathing or air
- ☆ any of a type of American folk hymn; specif., any of such songs originating among S U.S. blacks in the 18th and 19th cent. combining African and European musical elements
- religious or church matters
spiritual definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
- Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
- Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
- Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
- Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.
- a. A religious folk song of African-American origin.b. A work composed in imitation of such a song.
- Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters. Often used in the plural.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French spirituel, from Latin spīrituālis, of breathing, spiritual, from spīritus, breath; see Spirit .
- spirˈi·tu·al·ly adverb
- spirˈi·tu·al·ness noun