- Mysticism is a spiritual belief stating that a connection can be obtained with God or the spirits through thought and meditation.
An example of mysticism is believing that a direct connection can be made with God through sitting and thinking.
mysticism definition by Webster's New World
- the doctrines or beliefs of mystics; specif., the doctrine that it is possible to achieve communion with God through contemplation
- any doctrine that asserts the possibility of attaining an intuitive knowledge of spiritual truths through meditation
- vague, obscure, or confused thinking or belief
mysticism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.b. The experience of such communion as described by mystics.
- A belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible by subjective experience.
- Vague, groundless speculation.
mysticism - Ologies & -Isms Definition
mysticism - Cultural Definition
In religion, the attempt by an individual to achieve a personal union with God or with some other divine being or principle. Mystics generally practice daily meditation.