The definition of an apotheosis is a promotion of someone to the level of a deity.noun
An example of an apotheosis is a cult leader.
Apotheosis is defined as an archetype or perfect example of something.noun
An example of an apotheosis is when a song epitomizes how you feel.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. apotheoses
- the act of raising a person to the status of a god; deification
- the glorification of a person or thing
- a glorified ideal
Origin: LL(Ec) < Gr apotheōsis < apotheoun, to deify < apo-, from + theos, god: see theo-
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. a·poth·e·o·ses
- Exaltation to divine rank or stature; deification.
- Elevation to a preeminent or transcendent position; glorification: “Many observers have tried to attribute Warhol's current apotheosis to the subversive power of artistic vision” (Michiko Kakutani).
- An exalted or glorified example: Their leader was the apotheosis of courage.
Origin: Late Latin apotheōsis, from Greek, from apotheoun, to deify : apo-, change; see apo- + theos, god; see dhēs- in Indo-European roots.