- The definition of an engagement is an appointment, a promise to marry someone or a period of employment.
- An example of an engagement is a holiday party.
- An example of an engagement is a woman accepting a man's offer of marriage.
- An example of an engagement is a one year contract with a cruise ship.
This man offers a woman a ring of engagement.
engagement definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an engaging or being engaged; specif.,
- a promise; pledge
- a promise of marriage; betrothal
- an arrangement to go somewhere, do something, meet someone, etc.; appointment
- employment or period of employment, esp. in the performing arts
- a conflict; battle
- financial obligations; commitments
- state of being in gear
- something that engages
engagement definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of engaging or the state of being engaged.
- Something that serves to engage; a pledge.
- A promise or agreement to be at a particular place at a particular time.
- a. Employment, especially for a specified time.b. A specific, often limited, period of employment.
- A hostile encounter; a battle.
- The condition of being in gear.
engagement - Medical Definition
The entrance of the fetal head or presenting part into the upper opening of the maternal pelvis.