- Employment is defined as what you do as a paying job.
An example of employment is working for a coffee shop.
- The definition of employment is the number or percentage of people who have jobs.
An example of employment is the percentage of citizens with paying jobs listed state by state.
This woman's employment is working in a coffee shop.
employment definition by Webster's New World
- an employing or being employed
- the thing at which one is employed; work; occupation; profession; job
- the number or percentage of persons gainfully employed
- Archaic purpose to which something is put
employment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of employing.b. The state of being employed.
- The work in which one is engaged; occupation.
- An activity to which one devotes time.
- The percentage or number of people gainfully employed: “a vicious spiral of rising prices under full employment” (William Henry Beveridge).
employment - Legal Definition