- Occupation is your job or the way you spend your time or one country maintaining a military presence in another.
- An example of occupation is when you are a doctor or a lawyer.
- An example of occupation is when the United States maintains military troops in Iraq to keep control and order.
This woman is a doctor by occupation.
occupation definition by Webster's New World
- an occupying or being occupied; specif., the seizure and control of a country or area by military forces
- that which chiefly engages one's time; (one's) trade, profession, or business
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin occupatio
occupation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An activity that serves as one's regular source of livelihood; a vocation.b. An activity engaged in especially as a means of passing time; an avocation.
- a. The act or process of holding or possessing a place.b. The state of being held or possessed.
- a. Invasion, conquest, and control of a nation or territory by foreign armed forces.b. The military government exercising control over an occupied nation or territory.
Origin: Middle English occupacioun, from Old French occupacion, from Latin occupātiō, occupātiōn-, from occupātus, past participle of occupāre, to occupy; see occupy.